[sustran] fwd: literature request on gender and rural transport

Paul Barter tkpb at barter.pc.my
Fri Jun 12 16:04:58 JST 1998

[This appeared on the new rural transport and development list that has
been set up by the International Forum for Rural Transport and Development
- IFRTD (a sister network of SUSTRAN).  I thought that sustran-discussers
may also be interested. I hope the toolkit that Deike mentions below can
become a public document, as I am sure that it would be useful to many of
us].

Dear all:

Glad to see that people are beginning to use the list.
Since it's my first time to write to the list, I should introduce
myself and my organization:

My name is Deike Peters and I am working with the Institue for
Transportation and Development Policy (ITDP).  ITDP is a New York
non-profit research and advocacy organization dedicated to promoting
sustainable transportation policies and projects in less developed
countries and Central Eastern Europe.

I am currently helping the World Bank's Gender Unit to put together a
so-called toolkit on gender and transportation, which is intended to
help WB task managers to better integrate gender aspects of travel,
access and mobility into their project appraisal and implementation.

Right now, I am writing on the gender and rural transport section, and
I have gobs of literature on Sub-saharan Africa, but unfortunately
only very little on Asia and next to nothing on Latin America.

So if any of you know of DOCUMENTED projects or case studies on women
and rural transport and travel in Asia or Latin america, I would love
for you to bring it to my attention.

If you happen to have something on the urban context, it would be
equally useful to me.

Specifically, I am asking for full titles of documents and names of
authors, and where to get the piece.

While I of course cannot use anecdotal evidence, I would neverthelss
very much like to further discuss gender issues on this list and share
experiences.

Thanks in advance,
---Deike
mobility at igc.apc.org