[sustran] Riders for Health

Niklas Sieber ifrtd at gn.apc.org
Thu Jun 11 01:33:12 JST 1998

Dear all

Ian Neil from Riders for Health just came in the IFRTD office and
asked me the following question, which I forward to you. Could you
please answer directly (sorry no e-mail).

Regards,
Niklas
IFRTD

Message follows:
Riders for Health is an international development agency working with
government and non governmental partners in the South. Our core role
is the provision of support and training to enable the introduction
and maintenance of motorcycle fleets in Africa. Our programmes have
proven to be extremely effective in increasing rate of service
delivery by providing appropriate transport solutions to agencies
working in inaccessible regions in Africa. Riders for Health feels
that many of the systems and training that it has developed is easily
transferable to other agencies working in international development,
especially rural extension work and is looking for individuals or
agencies on the IFRTD network interested in working with Riders for
Health in the following areas

1. The introduction of motorcycle fleets in the South as a cost
effective alternative to 4 x 4's 2. The establishment of a training
centre based in the UK aimed at transferring the successes and
experience of our programmes in Africa to the wider development
community 3. The undertaking of research into appropriate transport
solutions and in particular the role of the motorcycle as a tool for
effective outreach/extension work in rural areas in the South.

I would also be interested to here from anyone who is interested in
our work and would like to know more or who has experience of using
motorcycles as a tool for outreach work

Ian Neal
48 Selsdon
London SE27
UNITED KINGDOM
+44 670 4029
Niklas Sieber
International Forum for Rural Transport and Development
150 Southampton Row
London WC1 B5AL, UK
Tel.: +44 171/ 278 3682, Fax: +44 171/ 278 6880
e-mail: ifrtd at gn.apc.org
Webpage: http://www.gn.apc.org/ifrtd