[sustran] fwd: Potential for mode transfer of short trips

Eric Bruun ebruun at rci.rutgers.edu
Wed Jun 10 22:23:11 JST 1998

To Prof. Mackett and others,

Almost no one in the US collects ANY information on non-motorized
modes, in fact, "mode split" is actually motorized mode split. But
there may be a few cities where they keep track. The only national
source uses a small sample, but may be of some help, the periodic
National Passenger Transportation Survey (NPTS). This is available
from the US DoT, probably from the Bureau of Transportation Statistics
website.

Professor John Pucher has collected mode split data for many European
countries and is currently studying bicycle use in North America,
in case you have not already spoken with him.

Another good source of modal use data for Germany is the firm
Socialdata of Munich, again, in case you have not heard of them.

Sounds like a good project, and something many of us would like to
follow.

Eric Bruun