[sustran] Comments on Litman's ESD selections

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Tue Jul 21 00:58:06 JST 1998

Eric Bruun has made the point:
>> The reference from Transportation Research Board that Litman
cited is not much of a resource in my opinion.  It talks only
about technology.  In a 250 page body, there aren't even 2 pages
about urban public transportation and nothing about the impact
from global trade patterns on the freight side. Officially
sponsored reports in the US, in my opinion, avoid internal
politically controversial issues.  <<
This is an extremely important observation, and -- bet on it! -- I
regret it greatly but there it is. A sad state of affairs!

The TRB stuff is almost always good when it comes to the back, the
leaves and the small stuff that crawls about thereon, but
virtually nonexistent when it comes to telling us anything useful
about the forest. By and large, these good souls play it safe, and
if you don't believe it, I invite you to sample their collected
work. Strong questioning and conceptual thinking are simply not
their choice of arms. And so, they run anywhere from 10 to 20
years behind the leading edge.

What I have to believe, Eric, is that Todd and maybe a few others
are trying to run the TRB gang around. Sure they have for the last
half decade regularly had a few people there who mouth the mantra
of sustainability et al. But in their heart of hearts, vrooom
vrooom....

Somebody, please, kindly prove to me that I am horribly wrong!
And if you do, I will eat that virtual crow.

Eric Britton

EcoPlan International - Technology, Economy, Society
Le Frene, 8/10 rue Joseph Bara, F-75006 Paris, France
Tel.  +33 (0)1 4326.1323 or +33 (0)1 4441.6340
Fax  +33 (0)1 4441.6341 or +33 (0)1 4326.1323
ICQ # 7147909  URL: http://www.ecoplan.org