[sustran] Sustainability and Automobile Dependency Issues

Todd Litman litman at islandnet.com
Sat Jul 18 00:19:26 JST 1998

Dear Colleagues,

At the Transportation Research Board summer session, held earlier this week
in Seattle, the following three sessions were planned for the 1999 TRB
Annual Meeting, to be held next January in Washington DC:

*  Sustainabile Transportation
*  Automobile Dependency: Social Impacts
*  Automobile Dependency: Economic Impacts

If you are involved in research related to these issues I urge you to
submit a paper for presentation. The deadline for submissions is August 1,
so you'll need to act quickly. For information contact the Transportation
Research Board at 202-334-3205 or www.nas.edu/trb.

Please let me know if you would like a copy of a paper we presented at the
summer meeting, "Exploring the Paradigm Shift Needed to Resolve Conflicts
Between Transportation and Sustainability Goals". It resulted in
considerable discussion among those who saw the presentation. Many
transportation professionals appear rather resistant to changing their
paradigm.

Sincerely,

Todd Litman, Director
Victoria Transport Policy Institute