[sustran] numbers of people on motorcycles

Eric Bruun ebruun at rci.rutgers.edu
Thu Jul 16 23:51:47 JST 1998

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Pascal Desmond wrote:

> I am not familiar with seeing more than 2 people on a motorcycle or moped,
> although in my youth I had 3 passengers on my pushbike on bumpy roads in
> west Kerry, Ireland. One each on the carrier, saddle and handlebars, with
> myself standing up in the pedals. It wasn't particularly comfortable,
> especially for the chap on the handlebars when we were going downhill.

   In Pakistan, it is extremely common to see a whole family of 4 people
   on a moped. Usually the third and fourth passenger are children, so
   it is not impossible. But the women ride sidesaddle for "modesty"
   which is inherently imbalanced and unsafe. This no doubt contributes
   to the horrific accidents that occur.  There are other places as
   well where the entire family fits on one moped.  Eric