[sustran] Re: more on motorcycles and congestion

Pascal Desmond pascal at gn.apc.org
Thu Jul 16 19:16:01 JST 1998

Eric Bruun is correct. My experience of motorcyclists are the variety who
sit astride a great big throbbing engine, alone. Sadly, those with small
engines are  usually scorned or laughed at.

I am not familiar with seeing more than 2 people on a motorcycle or moped,
although in my youth I had 3 passengers on my pushbike on bumpy roads in
west Kerry, Ireland. One each on the carrier, saddle and handlebars, with
myself standing up in the pedals. It wasn't particularly comfortable,
especially for the chap on the handlebars when we were going downhill.

>Mr. Pascal Desmond raises a valid point that motorcycles often
>use more "shadow" space in front of them. Whenever possible,
>they try to keep tailgaters farther away than auto drivers as well.
>But I think Pascal is assuming a northern European or North
>American traffic operation. I assumed that Walter Hook was refering
>to Asian or Italian operations.  Even though safety and emissions
>statistics are wretched, they do use less space by far than
>a private car under these circumstances-- This is even more so
>when normalized for vehicle occupancy, as many motorcycles and
>mopeds will be carrying 2 or 3 people, whereas the car will often
>be carrying 1 person plus chauffer (who doesn't count any more
>than a bus driver).
>
>Both space consumed while driving and while stored are important.
>If one wants to unify the analysis to sum up the consumption of
>both, I would like to suggest the time-area method.  It is
>summarized in Transportation Research Record 1499.

Kind regards,
Pascal.

"Never doubt that a small group of committed citizens can change the world,
indeed it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead, (1901-78)

Thanks to the legal eagles at the RAC, here is a very nice piece of the law
(sadly, unreferenced):
"There is a fine of up to £2,500 and as many as 9 penalty points available
for any motorist who drives through a puddle and splashes pedestrians".
It is advisable that anyone who gets splashed should have at least two
independent witnesses, and have one of the nice, shiny CCTV cameras
pointing at you Š and don't forget that
"Police are required not to show 'favour or affection' towards some and
'malice or ill-will' towards others" (Police Act 1964, section 18 and
Second Schedule).