[sustran] Seeking contacts for data on Taipei, HCM City, Mumbai, Chennai and Delhi

Paul Barter tkpb at barter.pc.my
Sat Jul 11 19:04:18 JST 1998

Dear sustran-discussers

In addition to my role as coordinator of SUSTRAN, I am also a researcher
with the Institute for Science and Technology Policy at Murdoch University
in Western Australia. We are currently working on a new project to compile
a database on transport and land use in 100 world cities.  This major
project is being carried out for the International Association of Public
Transport (UITP).  An electronic database will be constructed as part of
this project and released through UITP in CD format in 1999.

I am responsible for collecting data on nine cities in Asia, some of which
I have studied before and some of which are largely new to me.  I am
urgently in need of contacts and information sources on the cities that I
have not studied before -- Taipei, Ho Chi Minh City, Mumbai (formerly
Bombay), Chennai (formerly Madras) and Delhi.

My colleague, Felix Laube, is also collecting data on a number of cities
that our research team has not tackled before.  These other cities are:
Harare, Cape Town, Tel Aviv, Teheran, Riyadh, Osaka, Sapporo, Krakow, and
Rome.  Any suggestions of contacts or data sources in these cities would
also be extremely helpful.

I am also collecting information on Seoul, Singapore, Jakarta, and Kuala
Lumpur but since I have worked on these cities before I already have a good
idea of where to start. Nevertheless any suggestions or tips about data on
these cities would also be most welcome.

The database that we are compiling will contain the following kinds of
information (for 1995 or 1996 if possible):
1. Town Planning, Demographic and Economic Data
2. Data on the Number of Vehicles and their Use, the Road Network, Traffic
Management and Parking (Traffic Data)
3. Data on Public Transportation
4. Data on Mobility and Modal Split
5. Data on the Costs and Performance of Transportation Systems (investment,
costs/prices, energy usage, accidents, air pollution emissions)

Paul Barter
SUSTRAN Resource Centre
and
Research Officer
UITP Towns/Regions Database Project
c/o A0602 Palm Court, Brickfields, 50470 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Phone: +603 274 2590 (or fax on request)
E-mail:   tkpb at barter.pc.my