[sustran] Re: ERP in Hong Kong

Paul Barter tkpb at barter.pc.my
Fri Jul 3 16:10:53 JST 1998

This appeared on the utsg list, posted by "m.j. steele"
<M.J.Steele at newcastle.ac.uk> in response to a question by Taiichi INOUE
<t4-inoue at nri.co.jp>.

The following article is from the
South China Morning Post
Internet Edition
Wednesday  July 1  1998

                  Kai Tak to host road
                        pricing trials

                BRENDAN DELFINO
                The Kai Tak site will be used to test the first
                electronic road pricing system within days of the
                airport's closure, a transport official said.

                Extensive testing will be carried out on Kai Tak's
                taxiways, which run parallel to the 3.5-kilometre
                runway.

                Tsang King-man, chief engineer of the Transport
                Department's Electronic Road Pricing Unit, said
                yesterday that testing of vehicles and equipment
                could start by mid-August.

                "We want to move in as soon as possible and
                depending on the length of the relocation, we hope
                to start surveying a few days after the move," Mr
                Tsang said.

                "We will then move on to some preliminary
                installation of equipment and facilities, such as
                erecting gantries and painting out the test tracks,
                then start testing."

                Two rough test tracks have been designed but may
                be altered by engineers contracted to carry out the
                tests, after the site at the end of the runway is
                surveyed.

                The circuits will be used to test the two
                technologies being considered for the programme -
                the satellite Global Positioning System and
                microwave reception from gantries. Testing is
                expected to continue until mid-January.

Any comments