[sustran] Yet another Response to Cox on New Urbanism, Portland , and , THE , ECONOMIST

Eric Bruun ebruun at rci.rutgers.edu
Wed Jan 28 04:21:40 JST 1998

Wendell, you simply do not know how the transit resources are distributed
in the Seattle area. Metro has a record-high vehicle-hour to revenue
vehicle-hour ratio of about 1.5 to 1 because of the extreme suburban
emphasis of the route system. The ridership is not much higher than
Portland either, considering that the service area is larger and
the CBD is much larger.

Most city routes in Seattle are on very poor 30 minute headways during the
base period, deteriorating to 60 minutes at night. Also, the bus tunnel is
very poorly utilized, with few routes actually using it. As for the HOV
lanes on freeways, these are of little utility to intracity transit
routes. The very few bus lanes in downtown are not enforced, either.
By comparison, Portland has given over much more of its surface level
street space to bus transit, especially in the central area.

I make no claims that the light rail line in Portland makes much
difference, one little route is not going to transform an entire city.
Eric