[sustran] Another Response to Cox on New Urbanism, Portland and , THE , ECONOMIST

Eric Bruun ebruun at rci.rutgers.edu
Wed Jan 28 02:11:53 JST 1998

Sorry for the delay in responding. I have been away. It is not
just a matter of personal taste when I say that Portland is better
for people who like to use transit. It is simply a fact that Portland
proper has more frequent and denser transit service than Seattle
proper. In the Seattle area, transit service is disproportionately
allocated to peak-hour peak direction service to suburbs. Also, Seattle
has very few places where transit is sped up with preferential treatment.
Also, Seattle is most assuredly a less "lovely" place to drive with
the limited travel corridors. The Texas Transportation Institute
consistently rate Seattle in the top 6 for time lost due to congestion
delays.  So it is not just my subjective judgement when I say that
Portland is better in certain respects.  Eric