[sustran] Strategic Logistics Management in Urban Public Transport

Wayne Duff-Riddell driddell at ING.SUN.AC.ZA
Tue Jan 27 16:28:06 JST 1998

Hello!

Would anybody like to comment?

A definition of Strategic Logistics Management is:

"The process of planning, implementing and controlling the
  efficient,cost-effective flow and storage of raw materials,
  in-process inventory, finished goods, and related information from
  point-of-origin to point-of-consumption for the purpose of conforming
  to customer requirements."

I'd like to hear ideas on what components of a public transport system
could be considered to fit the various categories as listed below.  For
example, I believe that the finished goods, are
"route-seats-on-schedule."  Raw materials could be vehicles, money,
roads, railway lines, bus terminals, railway stations etc.

raw materials
in-process inventory
finished goods
related information