[sustran] Re: densities

Wendell Cox wcox at publicpurpose.com
Thu Jan 22 13:17:18 JST 1998

Point well taken on Toronto.... Though it is somewhat hard to believe that
Toronto --- at 7800 per square mile (26/ha) is that close to Los Angeles ---
which the US Census bureau places at 5,800 (domestic definition, 19/ha).

Best regards,
Wendell Cox

>Wendle Cox wrote:
>>There are problems with the Newman-Kenworthy data --- for example
>>
>>        The Greater Toronto region contains large expanses of unurbanized
>>land (especially in the regional municipalities of York and Durham), which
>>causes an understatement of density.
>
>Like Paul, I also worked with Kenworthy, particularly on the Canadian data.
> As Paul mentioned in his email, we were careful to weed out all non-urban
>land in the calculations of urban density (i.e., agricultural land, water,
>regional-scale parks, etc.).  This was done for all the cities, to ensure a
>high comparability.  The Toronto figure of 26 p/ha is quite accurate as the
>unurbanized lands in Halton, Peel, York and Durham were already "weeded"
>out.  If these were included, densities closer to 7-10 p/ha would be
>achieved...clearly too low a density for Greater Toronto.  Metro Toronto
>is, of course, more dense at around 41 p/ha.
>
>Similar exclusions of non-urban land were made for the U.S. data.
>
>>        The "tri-state" region of New York contains much unurbanized land
>>- --- the urbanized area would have been  more appropriate.=20
>
>Looks right...quite close to the Kenworthy, et al figure of 19 p/ha for the
>New York region.
>
>Tamim
>------------------
>Tamim Raad
>Point Grey RPO, Box 39150
>Vancouver, British Columbia  V6R 4P1
>Tel: (604) 739-2146
>Email: raad at unixg.ubc.ca

WENDELL COX CONSULTANCY
International Public Policy, Economics, Labour, Transport & Strategic Planning
The Public Purpose: Internet Public Policy Journal
http://www.publicpurpose.com
Voice +1 618 632 8507; Fax  +1 618 632 8538
P.O. Box 841- Belleville, Illinois 62222 USA

"To facilitate the ideal of government as the servant  of the people by
identifying and implementing strategies to achieve public purposes at a cost
that is no higher than necessary."