[sustran] escap

ifrtd at gn.apc.org ifrtd at gn.apc.org
Sat Jan 10 05:07:53 JST 1998

Just to answer Walter Hook's question on ESCAP - the Secretariat hs
a division on Transport, Communications and Tourism which is
implementing   the New Delhi Action Plan on Infrastructure
Development in Asia and the Pacific.  The Plan itself has some 64
priotitised projects - but resource mobilisation for these projects
depends on donor  and member country prioritisation.

 > Date:
 Thu, 8 Jan 1998 12:30:58 -0800 (PST)
> To:            sustran-discuss at jca.ax.apc.org
> From:          Institute for Transportation and Development Policy <mobility at igc.apc.org>
> Subject:       [sustran] escap
> Cc:            andya at lul.co.uk

> Re: the ESCAP discussion
>
> Might I suggest that the appropriate forum for this work would be the United
> Nations NGO Transport Caucus which has some sort of official status at UN
> activities, and is co-chaired by Andy Anderson representing the Intl. Union
> of Public Transport Associations and ITDP, but is open to any organization
> which wants to join.  Andy works for London Transport and has been at the
> forefront of most of our UN lobbying efforts.  He was just in Kyoto but was
> also at the UNCHS meeting in Florence, the UNECE meeting in Vienna, Habitat
> II, etc.  His email is as above.  Currently the Transport Caucus has been
> focusing on reforming UNDP and UNCHS as they seemed to do the most actual
> transport project implementation and transport technical assistance; perhaps
> I'm wrong.  What does ESCAP do, exactly, in the transport field?
>
> Rgds,
> Walter Hook
> ITDP

> 	The Institute for Transportation and Development Policy (ITDP)
> 	115 West 30th Street,  Suite 1205
> 	New York, NY 10001
> 	Tel 212-629 8001, Fax 212-629 8033
> 	mobility at igc.apc.org