[sustran] Re: ESCAP Committee on Transport and Communications

Roger Higman rogerh at foe.co.uk
Thu Jan 8 12:14:58 JST 1998

Priyanthi

You wrote:

> I attended a meeting of the above held at ESCAP in Bangkok early
> December.  It was a very interesting meeting and I met many
> interesting people.  Unfortunately, the content of the meeting
> included hardly anything about non-motorised transport modes, about
> environmental issues (limited to the transportation of hazardous
> goods), about poverty issues or gender issues.  In this vacuum of
> concern for the transport-disadvantaged and wider developmental
> issues it was encouraging that the meeting did include a prioritised
> project on transport for the disabled.  Should we attempt to
> influence our government delegations to include in the discussion
> issues that should be of greater concern to a region that is home to
> a large number of poor people?  What do you think?

Yes!

Roger Higman                                    "A thorn in the side of
Senior Campaigner (Atmosphere and Transport)         the motor industry"
Friends of the Earth (E,W+NI),  	        	   Car Magazine
26-28 Underwood Street,
London, N1 7JQ

Tel      + 44 171 566 1661                       Fax   + 44 171 490 0881
E-mail   rogerh at foe.co.uk                        http://www.foe.co.uk