[sustran] Ten Steps Towards More Sustainable and People-Centred Transport

eric britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Sat Dec 19 17:52:28 JST 1998

Very nice and very useful as a summary.

And while I still want to think more on it, one comment involves your choice
of term "Capacity building".... To these ears it has a possibly ambiguous
ring.  Does anyone else hear the possibility of quick interpretation by some
as a call for more "capacity" in the good ol' transport sense?

Also I must admit a quaver to the term "Ten Steps..." since it appears so
often and usually in some pretty raunchy (read unthoughtful) contexts.  But
hey! de gustabus...

For anyone who might be interested, we drew up something along these lines
back in the beginning of the decade as a bedrock for what later because the
Ciudades Accesibles program in Spain, which if you wish you can pick up for
yourself at ftp://ftp.the-commons.org/pub/access/ where you will see
granada_dec.doc (a Word document of 40k). It could be interesting to read
the two against each other and see if they might each gain a bit in the
process.  In fact and inspired by you, I think that the idea of an overhaul,
update, and relaunching of the Declaration is quite a good one. And once we
have it in hand, we might even begin to think of ways of putting it to work.

Eric

EcoPlan International -- Technology, Economy, Society

Latest action on The Commons at http://www.ecoplan.org
* CarShare Consortium  * Children & Sustainability * WTP&P * Le Transport
Nouveau
* 21st Turtle Media  * Access Bilbao 2010 * Car Free Day Forum *
TurningPoint 2000