[sustran] Reference: http://www.delayed.net/ (Strongly Recommended!)

eric britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Fri Dec 4 18:49:34 JST 1998

Hello Jason,

That's a very interesting site you have put on line there, and I hope that
our colleagues around the world who are concerned not only with the issues
of getting trains to run on time but also how we might be able to use
technology better to move toward more sustainable transportation systems
will give it a look and bit of thought.

Perhaps if you have a moment to cruise our site you will see why we are so
interested in such a, might we call it, 'citizen initiative'.  My take on
all this is that with so many bright and capable people out there in our
post-industrial societies,  and now with their ability to "get together" in
so many ways, the traditional power centers are going to have to change many
of their good old habits (but only if we, the citizens, do it first, of
course).  I see your site as a salient example of this tectonic shift in
process.

In this context and quickly, here is a question and a thought for you:

1. What keeps anyone from stuffing the ballot boxes?

2. What about this?. Since you have such a terrific site, what about making
it available in "kit form" so that it can be tailored and used by people all
over the place.  I for example have played with WebSnake to see what happens
if we were to make a version for our cooperative projects in the Basque
Country, and I see how that might be done quite nicely.  But of course I
would have to ask your permission before going on lie with such a WebSteal
and as it stands, this is a kind of awkward, time consuming route. There are
other ways to kit-build that might make it a lot easier for people.  Of
course, it would be nice if they would have the civic spirit to note their
source.

Or is that too much for one note?

Eric Britton

EcoPlan International -- Technology, Economy, Society

Latest action on The Commons at http://www.ecoplan.org
* CarShare Consortium  * Children & Sustainability * WTP&P * Le Transport
Nouveau
* 21st Turtle Media  * Access Bilbao 2010 * Car Free Day Forum *
TurningPoint 2000
And soon, Rethinking Work: New Ways to Work in an Information Society

Le Frene, 8/10 rue Joseph Bara, F-75006 Paris, France
Videoconferencing/groupwork: +331 4441.6340 (1-4)