[sustran] city bikes/free bikes

remonde at gsilink.com remonde at gsilink.com
Thu Apr 23 04:26:27 JST 1998

I have been residing in Philippines since 1992, so i do not know all
the little details of the free bike program in Copenhagen. However,
it's something like this:

Public bicycles are parked in bicycle parking areas. They are locked
to the stand with a lock and chain. To get the bicycle, one has to
insert a coin in the lock, and then the bicycle will be released. If
the bicycle is returned to a proper bicycle parking stand (there are
several all over town), and locked, one's deposit will be returned.
If you don't park the bike properly, you'll forfeit your coin.

I'm not sure whether the bicycles are second hand. What i know is
that they are very unattractive. No gears or fancy gadgets. Just a
plain bike which nobody would like to steal.  Business can put
their adds on the bicycles - that keeps the program going (funds
are needed for annual repairs). 1000s of bicycles are stolen every
year in Copenhagen (many of them "exported" to East Europe). Some
bicycles are stolen by lazy people on their way home from the disco
at night. The public bike is supposed to prevent the latter type of
theft. They also provide a simple and free alternative to folks who
want to bike but either don't have a bike or who commute some
distance, walk (now bike) another.

Marit