[sustran] Bicycles - Improving the image

Obwon ob110ob at IDT.NET
Mon Apr 20 16:17:03 JST 1998

J.H. Crawford wrote:

[...]

  I'm sure electric bike will improve too.

  ob

> I get a wonderful flavor of what bike riding is for you from the
> paragraphs above. It's a sport, one you play to the limits. It's
> obvious that biking occupies your entire attention. I have no
> problem with this at all, but I don't expect very many people
> either to make the kind of study of street behavior that you
> have or to accept a mode that requires such constant vigilance
> in the face of danger. It's fine for those who want to do it,
> but I don't think many people will accept this way of traveling.
>
>                                           ###
>
> J.H. Crawford    Crawford Systems    joel at xs4all.nl    http://www.mokum.com/

  Yes, sometimes I actually enjoy the danger, sometimes it's not quite
that interesting.  But one things for sure, if you've been biking as
long as I have and you do want to avoid serious accidents you simply
must concentrate.

  Of course there are areas where you can let your guard down.  Late at
night in the far reaches of Long Island or back streets and roads in
Brooklyn or the Bronx.  Even some Sunday's and holidays in Manhattan!  I
had a wonderful ride one 4th of July holiday on a  Saturday, everyone
was out of town, I rode almost the lenght of Columbus Avenue 4 full
lanes of black top all to myself and I didn't even see one single car
(well, maybe one).

  Warm rainy summer nights get's cars off the streets early too. So if
you don't mind getting wet you can have a wonderful relaxing ride.

  Obwon