[sustran] Motorcycle discussion - weather issue

Dr.Rajeev Saraf sarafrk at cbme.iitd.ernet.in
Mon Apr 20 14:53:38 JST 1998

I do not think weather (heat)  is really a issue with cycling. If it is a
issue, it is as much a issue with motorised two whelers and cars running
without an AC. ( it could be worse for cars).
A study had shown that a speed of 20 km/hr for bicycles is sufficent to
dry up the sweat that you may be generating by bicycling. As a matter of
fact, when sweat dries up, you get a cool feeling ( loss of heat).
If you are sitting inside a car without an AC in hot weather, you could also
be sweating profusely.
In any others weather, I do not see how a motorised two wheeler has
advantage over bicycle.

Dr Rajeev Saraf                 |
Urban and Transport Planner     |
SENIOR PROJECT SCIENTIST        |      PHONE : 91-11-6858703
APPLIED SYSTEM RESEARCH PROGRAM |      EMAIL : sarafrk at cbme.iitd.ernet.in
IIT DELHI 110016                |      FAX   : 91-11-6862037
INDIA                           |