[sustran] 1) Motorised 2 wheelers 2)Hong Kong

Dr.Rajeev Saraf sarafrk at cbme.iitd.ernet.in
Wed Apr 15 13:57:34 JST 1998

I am this "low-compression" and "high compression" terminology for the
first time. Generally, we talk about 2-stroke and 4-stroke engines for
motorised two wheelers (MTWs). Cars have 4-stroke engines.
In 4-stroke engines, Hydrocarbon emissions are much lower than 2-stroke
engines due to beter burning of the fuel. In 2-stroke engines, a large
amount of unburnt fuel is emitted into the air.
For the same reason, two-stroke engine have a lower CO/CO2 emissions than
4-storke engines. Since the burning is better in 4-stoke engine, there
is higher emission of carbon oxides which is a byproduct of burning.

It should also be noted that 4-storke engines provide better mileage.

Dr Rajeev Saraf                 |
Urban and Transport Planner     |
SENIOR PROJECT SCIENTIST        |      PHONE : 91-11-6858703
APPLIED SYSTEM RESEARCH PROGRAM |      EMAIL : sarafrk at cbme.iitd.ernet.in
IIT DELHI 110016                |      FAX   : 91-11-6862037
INDIA                           |