[sustran] 1) Motorised 2 wheelers 2)Hong Kong has all the solutions?

Gerry Hawkes ghawkes at sover.net
Sun Apr 12 10:13:56 JST 1998

Barbara -

I think both you and the GTZ fellow are right.

You are correct in that walking and bicycling are economical,
efficient and healthy ways to alleviate the congestion and
pollution caused by using fossil fuel powered, motorized vehicles
for short trips.

The GTZ fellow is right in that people tend to "upgrade" to
noisy, highly polluting two stroke engine powered motor bikes in
order to increase their speed and range.  Having been in
Ouagadougou several times on consulting assignments as well as in
numerous other cities with high motor bike traffic, I need no
convincing that two-cycle motor bikes are not a means of
transportation to be encouraged.

We need to create conditions and infrastructure that promotes
walking, bicycling, and muscle powered movement of goods, but
also channels the inevitable desire for more speed, power and
range to clean, quiet, affordable vehicles.  A vision of how I
think this might be achieved can be found at
http://www.biketrack.com/visions.htm

We have been testing  and developing the surface to be used in
the EcoTrack transportation system since 1993.  We now have many
installations of the surface on steps, wheelchair access ramps,
gangways, bicycle/pedestrian bridges, etc. around the U.S.  A
partial listing of these sites can be found at
http://www.biketrack.com/install.htm

The next step toward the EcoTrack transportation system will be
the introduction of structural travel surface panels that may be
placed together to form high quality walking and bicycle riding
surfaces without the need for a wood or metal sub-surface and
eliminating the need to excavate and pave.  The first 2'x4'
panels will be available by the end of next month along with a
new, modular truss system for building economical bicycle and
pedestrian bridges.   Please watch www.biketrack.com for
developments.  We will be posting more details on the surfacing
panels and modular truss system during the month of May.

Gerry Hawkes
Bike Track, Inc.
Woodstock, Vermont USA

www.biketrack.com