[sustran] Coherent transport systems

Obwon ob110ob at IDT.NET
Sat Apr 4 08:48:30 JST 1998

Gerry Hawkes wrote:

> Dear Tore & Sustran Colleagues,

> to http://www.biketrack.com/visions.htm for a vision of the
> transportation system we are working toward.

  Gerry?  I've just viewed the website [mostly text] Please keep us
posted as to when pictures become available. Also, I've been reading a
faq on picture compression stuff and I've learned that gif is better for
up to 256 colors and grayscale-non natural/artwork with few color
differences.  While the Jpeg is better for real photo work.

  Without getting too technical - Jpeg both loses some pix info in
compression (which can be high and therefore fast for 24 bit 16m color
images) and it also tends to blend colors from one pixel to the next.
It normally does these things at just below 'eye detection' levels so
that while one compression/expansion means little loss by way of
quality, repeated processing (com/exp) caused additional degrading
especially if coupled with editing (to minimize cut multiples of 16
pixels from left and/or top, this keeps 'blocks' more 'readable' to the
jpeg program).  But to avoid altogether, simply use other image editors
and only compress the final product.  This works fine.

  I would enjoy seeing 'deployment' art work/renderings which can give a
better view of what is envisioned as the end result and 'assist relief'
box drawings which help understand/explain details. Since I ride both
long and short trips around the city (NY) in all weather conditions, I'd
like to visualize the provision of a system that will work to deflect
the harsher elements of such trips.

  Yet, it's hard to imagine that they wouldn't provide 'clutter' of
senic views which would become a nusiance when they aren't needed, even
if a blessing when they are.  To be sure, covered trails is more
efficient than carrying a shelter around with you [bike shells etc].

  And unless you're planning to allow/accomodate 'heavy' hpv's such as
loaded carryalls, workbikes and pedicabs/pedicars and the like, then
smaller hills shouldn't be a problem that requires motorized assists.
That should save on motors, power and expense. But that comes after
terms - 'small/big  hill' - is defined. <g>

 Oh yes!  Before I forget, for anyone who might be interested. This week
in New York City local news much attention was drawn to a storekeeper
who was given a $1,000 dollar fine by the Parks Dept. for chaining his
bike to a tree on the street in front of his shop.  The Parks
Commissioner, after the story made news, offered to cancel the ticket if
the storekeeper would hug and say a few nice words to the tree.  He did
and so the story made the papers again.

  But, anyone who bikes in NYC knows that there's a real shortage of
bike racks.  Most lamp posts and street signs are often taken up by the
bikes of the businesses on the streets.  On the side streets, which are
residential/commercial mix, the residents often 'store' their bikes on
the few sign posts and lamp posts so visitors coming into the area have
little choice of where to lock up for their stay.  Iron property gates
and fences usually draw someone's ire if used, so we must try to avoid
that as much as possible.

  Although, I believe, the previous adm. loosened the rules regarding
stores, businesses, pvt. cits., liablity if and when they provide bike
racks for public use, very few [ but growing numbers] of places provide
them. Schools and colleges are coming on board, and a few busineses
too.  But across the board it seems they are unable to find very
efficient racks to provide.

  So, if someone is already engaged in working with this kind of problem
that you know of, wheather commercial or not, this information might be
of some help to them.  BTW bike useage in the city is growing, even
while  Asian countries seem to be trending the other way.  We'd probably
have even more bike usage if someone could come up with a foldable
hpv/carryall type workbike/transporter capable of carrying packages and
being able to be stored in a small space.

  Thanks for the attention and Regards
  Obwon