[sustran] Coherent transport systems

Tore Berge, ANT ant at c2i.net
Fri Apr 3 19:59:43 JST 1998

Dear Colleagues,

Even if I have followed the discussion with much interest since May 97,
this is my first mail to the SUSTRAN DISCUSS list. I am the general
director of  ANT, the Norwegian Federation for Local Environment and
Transport.

ANT, the Norwegian Federation for Local Environment and Transport, has got
financial support to do a project on: How to integrate land use and
transport planning and develop coherent local transport systems.

The intention is to make an international «inventory» of relevant measures
and planning procedures. Besides describing the different measures, the
project will focus on the actual results of implemented measures and
procedures. If possible the project will describe measures directed towards
the transportation of persons and measures directed towards the
transportortation of goods.

ANT has already described some of these measures in the report «Greening
Urban Transport - Land use planning», published by the European Federation
for Transport and Environment (T&E) in 1994 - like the public transport
index in Hammersmith and Fulham in London and the Dutch ABC system.

The idea is to develop a list with further examples, also from countries
outside Europe, like the ISTEA and the Metropolitan Planning Organizations
in USA, and to get more information on the actual outcomes of the
implemented measures.

I would be very interested in getting suggestions to relevant measures that
could be included in this list, and names and addresses to persons and
institutions to contact for further information.

Best regards
Tore Berge

ANT
The Norwegian Federation for Local Environment and Transport
PB 2035 Grünerlokka
N-0505 OSLO
Tel +47 22 71 56 60
Fax +47 22 38 23 03