[sustran] Transport in the South

Institute for Transportation and Development Policy mobility at igc.apc.org
Wed Apr 1 02:07:22 JST 1998

Dear Sarah Roberts,

Some answers in the text

At 10:04 AM 3/31/98 EST, SRIIED wrote:

>At the International Insitute for Environment and Development in London (a not
>for profit research and policy institute) we are doing some work on
>perspectives and action on sustainable consumption in the South for the UK
>Department for International Development.Transport is one of the key sectors
>that we are looking at.
>
>I am hoping that members of sustrans-discuss might help us make this section a
>pertinent and hard-hitting one. I would greatly value your help in finding
>specific information, your thoughts on how different countries in the South
>can develop a sustainable transport system that gives access to mobility to a
>wide range of people and examples of initiatives that are attempting to make
>this happen. Please see my specific questions below.
>
>1. Up to date information on vehicle ownership (non-motorised as well as
>motorised) and trends in Southern countries (at a country level if possible).
>Is there anywhere on the web that I can access this kind of data or does
>anyone know where I can get hold of it.

For motorized vehicle ownership I use the annual reports of the Motor
VEhicles Manufacturing Association in the U.S.  The Economist Economic
Intelligence Unit also puts out auto industry sales information by country
which covers some developing countries.

For non-motorized vehicle data, data in africa is very difficult to come-by.
John Howe has researched this question (jdhowe at ihe.nl).  Worldwatch in
Washington D.C. published a report on bicycle sales; I believe it was Chris
Flavin.  You could ask him where he got his data.  Michael Replogle at EDF
(michaelr at edf.org) and Chiaki Kuranami at Padeco in Japan (did research on
nmvs in Asia)  Maybe Paul Guitink at World BAnk would have better ideas.
(pguitink at worldbank.org)

>2. Information on and who is buying cars (what level of income) in different
>countries in the South and the propotion of journeys that people at different
>levels of income make by different modes.

This has to be pieced together from country specific studies.  I've compiled
what I know about this in my upcoming Transport Policy for UNDP.  Jonas
Rabinovitch at UNDP can maybe send you this document which is only in draft
form. (jonas.rabinovitch at undp.org)

>3. Thoughts on the extent to which there can be any 'leapfrogging' by Southern
>countries to a more sustainable transport system than the one which exists in
>richer countries?

In terms of Greenhouse Gas Emissions, almost all developing countries
transport systems are more environmentally sustainable than those in
developed countries. US alone responsible for something like 32% of global
CO2 emissions from transport. On a per capita basis, developing countries
look very good due to low levels of motorization.  Chinese system based on
bicycles is extremely sustainable compared to developed countries.
Aggregate emissions levels in big metro areas in terms of ppm etc. look much
worse, but cities like Tianjin look pretty good, as do most secondary cities.

>4. Examples of sustainable transport initiatives in the South which have been
>relatively successful (apart from Curitiba!).

There are bits and pieces of good things  going on.  I'd suggest you look at
my UNDP report.  It has all I know about these things.

Best,
Walter Hook
ITDP

>Your thoughts on any of these questions would be extremely useful.
>
>Best wishes
>
>Sarah Roberts

	The Institute for Transportation and Development Policy (ITDP)
	115 West 30th Street,  Suite 1205
	New York, NY 10001
	Tel 212-629 8001, Fax 212-629 8033
	mobility at igc.apc.org