[sustran] Transport in the South

SRIIED SRIIED at aol.com
Wed Apr 1 00:04:00 JST 1998

At the International Insitute for Environment and Development in London (a not
for profit research and policy institute) we are doing some work on
perspectives and action on sustainable consumption in the South for the UK
Department for International Development.Transport is one of the key sectors
that we are looking at.

I am hoping that members of sustrans-discuss might help us make this section a
pertinent and hard-hitting one. I would greatly value your help in finding
specific information, your thoughts on how different countries in the South
can develop a sustainable transport system that gives access to mobility to a
wide range of people and examples of initiatives that are attempting to make
this happen. Please see my specific questions below.

1. Up to date information on vehicle ownership (non-motorised as well as
motorised) and trends in Southern countries (at a country level if possible).
Is there anywhere on the web that I can access this kind of data or does
anyone know where I can get hold of it.

2. Information on and who is buying cars (what level of income) in different
countries in the South and the propotion of journeys that people at different
levels of income make by different modes.

3. Thoughts on the extent to which there can be any 'leapfrogging' by Southern
countries to a more sustainable transport system than the one which exists in
richer countries?

4. Examples of sustainable transport initiatives in the South which have been
relatively successful (apart from Curitiba!).

Your thoughts on any of these questions would be extremely useful.

Best wishes

Sarah Roberts