[sustran] becaks and bajaj-re: Dr. Cervero's comments

John Brooks jbrooks at peeras.demon.co.uk
Fri Sep 26 20:49:23 JST 1997

In article <v01530504b05090ee9317 at barter>, Institute for Transportation
and Development Policy <mobility at igc.apc.org> writes
> The population density of Java is the highest of anywhere in
>the world.  Space-intensive motorization is driving the conversion of an
>increasing amount of environmentally sensitive land and agricultural land as
>well.  It is hard to imagine, with the sort of gridlock already manifesting
>itself in Jakarta, what it will look like if motor vehicle ownership figures
>rise to European levels.

>I agree that there needs to be more regional planning.  But who would do it?
>Master planning without public participation?  Didn't we try this in the
>U.S. in the 1960s, and didn't it lead to highways being paved through low
>income black neighborhoods, and a less than efficient and less than
>environmentally sustainable transport system here in the U.S.?  Who would
>run such a master planning exercize in Jakarta?  Some foreign consultants
>who have done such a stellar job so far?

I am not a transportation expert and hesitate therefore to argue with
experts...however...
It seems breathtakingly arrogant for anyone (even an expert) to offer
advice about transportation (even at broad-brush, government study
level) without considering the limits of the possible.
If we are to believe other reports, over-population is now the major
environmental, economic and political threat in several countries in SE
Asia, in particular Indonesia.
It seems pointless to discuss transportation planning (even mentioning
car ownership and usage levels approaching those of the US and W Europe)
without pointing out the futility of such plans unless population growth
is brought under control and quickly reversed.
If, as consultants, you offer advice to your clients based on
unrealistic scenarios for either traffic / transportation growth (eg.
failing to take account of economic viability, water supply, waste
disposal, air pollution from non-vehicle sources, energy availability,
...) then you are guilty at least of professional negligence.  It is not
a valid excuse to claim that such issues are outside your terms of
reference.
Please, someone tell me, what is the purpose of transportation
infrastructure plans which simply cannot be implemented and / or will
never actually be required?
The 'haze' (from forest burning) currently killing a few Malaysians in
KL (and probably many more elsewhere) should be an awful warning of the
likeliest future scenario for that region at least, in the absence of
effective action.
At risk of offending some of the more myopic members of this list,
GET REAL!
--
John Brooks  - Technical Consultant, Energy, Network Systems and Data Comms
South Croydon, 7,CR2 7HN, UK Tel: (44) 181 681 1595 Fax: (44) 181 649 7536