[sustran] More on Walton, Cowherd, Hook, Cervero, Dinesh, Obwon.. becak, bajajs, ojek et al

Dr. V. S. Pendakur pendakur at unixg.ubc.ca
Wed Sep 24 02:02:12 JST 1997

Eric Britton's comments are especially important in the context of social
values and goals underlying the analytical methods and the so called
intellectual aspects of this debate. I would encourage this debate to
continue, hopefully the discussants will provide some examples of how
things are done in their own cities and countries and enable all of us to
learn more about the complex questions.

Most of the "intellectual thinking" and methods arising out of this, are
quite value loaded and thus, may or not be suitable for certain countires,
cities or economies as they called these days.  The question then is :
should every one's analysis based upon only one set of values ( social
goals and social justice)?  Even if all the intellectuals of the world got
together and tried this in unison, it is unlikely to happen!

If one mode is inefficient ( space, environment, speed etc), and if we ban
and or eliminate that mode, then what are the consequences to the users?
The Singapore model provides some unique answers in this regard.  They have
concurrently provided alternative modes and incomes ( jobs and job
availability for higher incomes) that go with higher costs.  In other
places, some modes have been banned with no alternatives in modes and costs
provided ( Jakarta).  In some cases, the banned modes have been welcome
back after some public uproar ( Guangzhou). In some cities, more capacity
has been provided by seggregating modes ( Beijing-Bicycle Streets).  If we
were to include only the value of time savings, it is obvious that the
higher speed modes are favoured.  Then the question becomes...who pays and
who benefits...if they are aggregated...........then we simply cannot by
the old philosopy " progress requires that some people will have to
suffer".  I am hoping that we are certainly more advanced than that.

Take for example, the the concept of value of time ....the poor have more
time and very little money.  Especially if the poor are a majority in a
given city, who are we favouring by valuing time in a given way?  Should
they be favoured?  Is there an incremental value for time?  What values
should be attahced for various trip purposes?

All of the public transport systems in Canada are subsidised.  The direct
user cost ( fares ) varies from 25% to 45% depending upon the history,
wages, fleets,size and the urban strucutre.  The subsidies come in many
forms...gasoline( petrol) taxes ( crosss subsidisation ), property taxes (
municipal ) energy taxes ( electricity ) and general provincial tax
revenues.  There is no federal role in this.  The basic social values that
public transport is a necessity and mobility is fundamental to survival are
at the core of these subsidies.  We can talk intellectually till the cows
come home, this not likely to change a lot although the modus may vary over
time.   Many of the European systems are not subsidised.  Is one better
than the other and is the only way of measuring success the level of
subsidy?  This is true of our health system also  which provides universal
care and favours and treats the poor as patients and not as "poor
pateients".  The American system of health care is advertised to be more
efficicient, providing more choices and is certyainly " private" profit
oriented enterpise.  The one that makes profit...is this the one that is
better?

In Canada, many cities, including the one I live in, Vancouver, are
building ( spending money ) facilities for bicycles and pedestrains.  We
have no trust funds like in the USA or the ISTEA programs.  These
expenditures come from the municipal governments.  The social values
underlying thse are the whole question of environment and safety.
Honestly, there has not been a great deal of economic or intelllectual
analysis preceding these plans and expenditures although there has been a
hell of lot of public consultation and community input into plan making and
plan implementation.  The Dutch, the Danes and other northern Europeans are
far ahead of us in this regard.

The tranport investment policy and decision matrix is quite complex and
varies from country to country.  When we are making thse investments in any
country...we have to ask the basis questions of underlying values and who
are these investments suppopsed to serve?

 Cheers.

Dr. V. Setty Pendakur
School of Community and Regional Planning
University of British Columbia
Vancouver, BC, Canada  V6T 1Z2
1-604-822-3394-voice, 1-604-822-3787-fax