[sustran] becaks & bajajs

Robert Cervero Rob_Cervero at ced.berkeley.edu
Tue Sep 23 03:27:45 JST 1997

Messrs. Dinesh and Obwon:

You seem to be somewhat challenged in abilities to pursue this discussion on
an  intellectual plane.  The point wasn't so much that we should pity the poor
becak drivers or safeguard their welfare.  The point was that this
occupation was undergoing a shift -- former becak drivers in Jakarta deciding
they'd prefer (and admittedly, in some cases, forced to ) becoming motorcycle
(ojek) drivers, sometimes under contract with a motorcycle owner, mainly
because
they could make a lot more Rupiah, though I'm sure in some instances
because they
realized operating a motorscooter was safer than a rikishaw in the midst of
Jakarta's
traffic chaos.  Again, this is mainly the market giving rise to these shifts.
Thus we shouldn't be trying to protect becak drivers to guarantee jobs, but
rather
working with the market to allow them to potentially work in shifting
positions, ones
that could very well be safer.  A role for Indonesia's governments might be
to take some of
the tons of revenues they make from vehicle registrations and vehicle
transfer fees (one-quarter
of Jakarta municipality's local-source income) and provide loans for former
becak drivers to
move up the ladder to become ojek and microbus operators.

By the way, it should be kept in mind that the only place becaks have been
banned in Indonesia, as
far as I know, is Jakarta.  The same arguments don't hold for Solo, Jogja,
or even Medan, where the nature of
the mobility problems are of much different scales of magnitude.  Thus
while I agree with the original
post that better provisions should be made for NMT/becaks in Solo, Jogja
(which already has special
lanes along the main strip, Jalan Maliaboro), I still contend market
adjustments under way in Jakarta
should not be interfered with.

R.C.

>Dinesh Mohan wrote:
>>
>> I am touched by Mr. Cervero's concern for the health of becak drivers in
>> Jakarta.  All of us who have so much concern for the health of the poor
>> in this world should also think now of banning construction of higways and
>> expressways.
>
>  Quite touching... Did you also forget that office workers, especially
>in the newer seald building with air conditioning are at quite some
>health risk?  Then there's carpal tunnel syndrom, and hey, while we're
>at it why should football players be allowed to damage themselves for
>the amusment and pay?

 Cheers