[sustran] becaks & bajajs

Obwon ob110ob at IDT.NET
Mon Sep 22 01:22:04 JST 1997

Dinesh Mohan wrote:

> I am touched by Mr. Cervero's concern for the health of becak drivers in
> Jakarta.  All of us who have so much concern for the health of the poor
> in this world should also think now of banning construction of higways and
> expressways.  I have never really met a man or woman who would not like
> to escape the drudgery and back breaking work at road construction
> sites.  After we have done that we could proceed with banning iron ore
> and bauxite mining as the miners also live and work in horrible
> conditions.  While we are at it we should also consider banning
> construction of houses and factories.  Construction workers have the
> highest accident rates and can't think of working beyond the age of 40.
> Sustran has its work cut out for a long time.  I hope we can do this
> quite efficiently.
>
>                                         Dinesh

----------------------------------

  Quite touching... Did you also forget that office workers, especially
in the newer seald building with air conditioning are at quite some
health risk?  Then there's carpal tunnel syndrom, and hey, while we're
at it why should football players be allowed to damage themselves for
the amusment and pay?

  Which is to say that I too find this supposed offer of concern just a
bit suspect!  And to add to the matter of concerns, I've learned that
tress stop breathing when the temperature get's high, and so I can
suspect that thermal pollution which, traffic jams provide in abundance,
is yet another feature of increased auto use that's further damaging the
ecosystem upon which mankind depends more heavily than he does cars.

  Cheers
 Obwon