[sustran] becaks & bajajs

Dinesh Mohan dmohan at cbme.iitd.ernet.in
Sun Sep 21 18:24:23 JST 1997

I am touched by Mr. Cervero's concern for the health of becak drivers in
Jakarta.  All of us who have so much concern for the health of the poor
in this world should also think now of banning construction of higways and
expressways.  I have never really met a man or woman who would not like
to escape the drudgery and back breaking work at road construction
sites.  After we have done that we could proceed with banning iron ore
and bauxite mining as the miners also live and work in horrible
conditions.  While we are at it we should also consider banning
construction of houses and factories.  Construction workers have the
highest accident rates and can't think of working beyond the age of 40.
Sustran has its work cut out for a long time.  I hope we can do this
quite efficiently.

					Dinesh

Professor Dinesh Mohan                  	Office: (91 11) 685 8703
Coordinator, Transportation Research         	      & 666 979 Ext 3161
& Injury Prevention Programme,
Head, WHO Collaborating Centre,   		FAX:    (91 11) 686 2037
Indian Institute of Technology, 			      & 685 1169
New Delhi 110016, India

E-mail: dmohan at cbme.iitd.ernet.in		Home:   (91 11) 649 4910