[sustran] Follow up to Dr. Pendakur's comments

Wendell Cox wcox at publicpurpose.com
Sat Sep 6 00:53:47 JST 1997

Did I miss Dr. Pendakur's comment? Not sure what you are referring to....

But you have it "right on" in terms of the impacts of higher than market
labor costs on the very people we are trying to serve.

Issue isnt unionization --- I have no problem with unionization --- my
problem is that in a non-competitive environment unionizatoin tends to raise
costs above market, through higher labor costs and ineffective work rules. I
know that there is a tendency to believe that this increase is paid for by
owners, but it is not --- it is paid for by consumers and taxpayers, who for
the most part have their wages and work conditions established in the market.

US experience in competitive industries is clear --- unions have little
impact on the level of employee compensatoin or even on work rules. US
competitive tendering examples show this, where the same unions that
represent public agency employees represent private employees --- in the
private sector, however, market compensation seems sufficient to satisfy
unions (since they really have no choice). Best example is in Seattle..
though there are others.

The fundamental question is this.... Does public transport exist for the
purpose of providing mobility (and an alternative to the auto) or does it
exist for the benefit of the workers. If it is the latter, then there is no
public purpoe in its being subsidized, and anyway subsidies will largely be
used to benefit labor, not the public (which of course has happened). As
public transport gears up for greater subsidy support, the real question is
whether there will be value for the new money --- if there is not then all
of the talk of moving auto trips to public transport will be of no greater
value than the periodic recitation of the ten commandments.

Best regards,
Wendell Cox