[sustran] Melbourne tollways in court

JOHN WHITELEGG j.whitelegg at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Oct 28 01:31:12 JST 1997

To:  paul Mees,

D'day Paul.  Your info on the tollway legal battle is really
interesting.  Would you (or a colleague like to write an article on
this?  I am putting together a special issue of World Transport policy
and Practice on private/tolled roads.  Your melbourne experience is
almost identical to the Trans Israeli Highway and we can compare both
with our very own Birmingham Northern Relief Road.  The numbers
presented in supprt of these roads are almost always wrong and the final
cost to public funds (ie the taxpayer) is much higher than governments
want to admit.

Let me know if you can contribute

very best wishes,

John Whitelegg