[sustran] Leaded vs. Unleaded

rverzola rverzola at phil.gn.apc.org
Wed Oct 15 02:49:38 JST 1997

We badly need additional information about an ongoing debate here in
the Philippines:

The government is pushing for the use of unleaded gasoline, because
lead causes brain-damage. I've met a chemical engineer from an oil
company who insists that in unleaded gas, the lead has been replaced
with benzene, and that benzene is highly carcinogenic. He says that
benzene emissions can be reduced by catalytic converters, but most
cars in the Philippines don't have these converters because they add
about $100 to the price of a car.

I would appreciate the facts about this issue, and if there are other
things we should know about potential dangers from unleaded gas.

Thanks.

Obet Verzola