[sustran] Exclusive bus lanes - curb side vs. centre

Dr.Rajeev Saraf sarafrk at cbme.iitd.ernet.in
Mon Nov 24 16:03:04 JST 1997

Our minister just retuned from Curitiba where they have implemented
exclusive bus lanes in the centre of the carriageway. We have been
proposing a bus lane on both sides of the carriageway near the curb.
We would like to know the pros and cons of one approach vs. the other?
Under what conditions is one prefereed over the other.
BTW, I am talking about Delhi and large number of people are using public
transport ( bus -based).
Any reference or comments would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Dr Rajeev Saraf                 |
Urban and Transport Planner     |
SENIOR PROJECT SCIENTIST        |      PHONE : 91-11-6858703
APPLIED SYSTEM RESEARCH PROGRAM |      EMAIL : sarafrk at cbme.iitd.ernet.in
IIT DELHI 110016                |      FAX   : 91-11-6862037
INDIA                           |