[sustran] GEF Strategy

Christopher Zegras chris at mailnet.rdc.cl
Fri Nov 21 07:01:42 JST 1997

Brian,

Thanks very much for the clarification on the process of the GEF Transport
Strategy Development, which makes the STAP's final product even more astounding.

A cohesive response, utilizing SUSTRANS members as a foundation, would be
good. I think it is critical to expand the regional representation of the
response (i.e., Latin America, Africa) as well as the sectoral
representation (i.e., local developing country government officials).  The
latter is very important, since the UNDP and GEF ostensibly make
"developing" country-driven initiatives a first criteria for any of its
ultimate activities.

We must also keep in mind (and in response to Eric Britton's "somewhat
aggressive" ;^) comments), that the GEF, although primarily managed on a
day-to-day basis by the Bank (i.e., GEF initiatives incorporated into Bank
and IFC loans), is not an exclusive World Bank entity, and I would be very
surprised if the World Bank actually had an over-riding role in the STAP.
>From what I can tell, the Bank has been maintaining a distance in GEF
policy-formation.  So, we best be very sure of the process of developing the
STAP position before we begin criticizing the Bank (at least on this
specific issue).  Indeed, I think we could use the Bank's own recently
released transport policy, to help formulate criticisms of this GEF
Transport Policy.

Best wishes,

Chris Zegras

Date: Thu, 20 Nov 97 08:24:50 GMT
From: Brian.Williams at unchs.org
Subject: RE: [sustran] GEF Transport Strategy needs revision

Dear Colleagues,

     As I was in attendance at and participated in a number
of panel discussions during the STAP workshop on
developing criteria and guidelines for including GEF
transport programming within the Climate Change Tranche, I
feel compelled to comment on the apparent final outcome as
previously outlined by Dr. Hook at ITDP and Christopher
Herman from the US Dept. of Treasury.

     The expert group panel that was convened to discuss
these issues in Nairobi in March of this year represented a
well-balanced cross-section of GEF partners as well as
regionally-balanced representation from a cross-section of
stakeholders.  It was clear from the outset that the terms of
reference for the meeting was that we were charged with the
responsibility to evaluate ALL potential GHG mitigating
strategies vis-a-vis transport.  This included not only
alternative vehicles/fuels but strategies to limit travel
demand for trips by polluting modes; land use measures (e.g.
promoting mixed uses); non-motorized transport etc.  For
example, one very key issue that arose was the degree to
which the poor are currently underserved by transport
generally.  In response, it was suggested that a
comprehensive and long-term strategy withing the GEF's
transport programming needed to embrace both supply side AND
demand-side measures as the costs of bringing the poor into
the failed consuption patterns in transport currently in
evidence would be prohibitive (and certainly out of the realm
of the GEF).

     For your information, and for example, among the key
papers presented during the meeting was a case-study of
busways in Curitiba by one of the GEF partners, UNDP;
Transport-demand management measures in Singapore
highlighting emissions reductions in Singapore through
various pricing mechanisms;  Mobility and Sustainable
Development in Gabarone, Botswana;  A comprehensive study of
emission impacts and energy consumption of travel in India
under various scenarios, one of which were changes in modal
composition (i.e. increases in public transport as percentage
of modal share).  Two papers were also presented on emerging
and advanced transport technologies with respect to
hydrogen-based fuels, fuel-cell batteries, etc.

    Given the above, I too am rather concerned about the
apparent final outcome of the review process as it does not
seem to adequately reflect the comprehensive nature of the
discussions.  While transport technology transfer from North
to South presents numerous opportunities for GHG emissions
reductions in the long-run, I do not believe it can be viewed
in isolation from other strategies more appropriate for
balanced urban development generally in the here and now,
which, if taken, would reduce the financial burden on
developing countries for actions which need to be undertaken
in this sector.

     As I representative of  a United Nations organization
involved in sustainable developoment and human settlements
generally and not directly involved as a GEF partner, my
abilities to dirctly influence the final outcome of GEF's
transport-related interventions have been and are limited.
Nevertheless, I felt compelled to at least express a
reporting of the technical meeting  I was in attendance at in
Nairobi which I believe was a candid and open discussion of
the issues (among all technical experts invited as well as
GEF representatives from the World Bank and UNEP, IIASA and
AIT) and I am at a loss to explain the final outcome.

     It may be useful at this juncture to ensure a productive
and useful outcome for all concerned (and in order not to
reinvent the wheel as we are all busy people) that the actual
discussions at the STAP meeting be referred to as a potential
access or intervention point to encourage the GEF secretariat
to consider additional GHG mitigation measures as
appropriate.  I suggest this only because, while it is often
convenient to suggest that a particular position was rammed
through without consultations, this would be an inaccurate
assessment of the situation in this case.  In any letters or
other communication with the secretariat on this issue, it
might be useful to refer the actual proceedings of the STAP
meeting in order to immediately elevate the discussion to
what can now potentially be included or added (why or why
not, what was the reasoning used, etc., etc.) away from the
(understandable) vitriolic reactions that are beginning to
come in.

     Just a few random thoughts.  thanks.

Regards,

Brian Williams, Human Settlements Officer
United Nations Centre for Human Settlements (HABITAT)
Research and Development Division
P.O. Box 30030, Nairobi, Kenya
TEL: (254 2) 623-916
FAX: (254 2) 624-265
EMAIL: brian.williams at unchs.org
 Christopher Zegras       http://www.iiec.org                 /\   /^\
 Instituto Internacional para la Conservacion de Energia /^\ /_o\ /   \
 General Flores 150, Providencia, Santiago, CHILE       /^^^/_\< /^^^^^\
 Tel: (56 2) 236 9232 Fax: 236 9233                    /   (*)/(*)      \