[sustran] GEF Transport Strategy needs revision

Institute for Transportation and Development Policy mobility at igc.apc.org
Tue Nov 18 07:43:27 JST 1997

Dear Sustran Discussion List,

The Global Environmental Facility, which funds major projects related to
greenhouse gas emissions reductions and is controlled by the World Bank is
about to come out with their funding criteria for the transport sector, and
as we feared the news is grim.  An 'expert panel' was selected to identify
legitimate interventions, and this panel was completely captured by the
electric vehicle and fuel cell battery industry and research types.  The
guidelines virtually foreclose projects for bike lanes, bus lanes, and
capacity building and advocacy campaigning.

We need to mobilize a letter of complaint to Mr. Dilip Ajuta from the World
BAnk GEF office.  I will search the Web to see if the official draft is
already on there, but in the meanwhile, here are the comments from our man
at U.S. Environmental Protection Agency based on the briefing of U.S.
Treasury Dept. officials...

Rgds,
Walter Hook, ITDP

>Subject:  GEF Transport Strategy
>
>This is a brief synopsis and discussion of  Dilip Ahuda's presentation of
>the draft GEF transportation operational policy (OP11).
>
>NB:  The draft OP would become the sole OP  for GEF transport project
>purposes.  Dilip proposed that transport sector projects currently eligible
>under otherOPs (6,7,8?) should be no longer be GEF-eligible unless they met
>OP11 criteria.
>
>Process. The OP was developed this summer on the basis of a STAP workshop
>and papers commissioned from IIASA (on transport sector intervention
>opportunities) and from AIT (on Bangkok transport sector opportunities).
>It has been circulated to IPCC consultative group and to STAP for comment.
>Comments have been received and reviewed (and apparently, largely rejected
>at least with respect to the major issue of a narrow focus on vehicle
>technology).
>It is planned that the draft OP will be placed on the WEB for public
>comment in December.
>In a comment,  I urged that the background papers  as well as the World
>Bank Transport Policy be posted on the web along with the  OP draft.  I
>suggest we request  a copy of the background papers, i.e., the IIASA, AIT
>papers and  STAP comments.
>
>Substance.   The "bottom line" for GEF support is basically that it would
>focus on reconfiguring bus and motorized bike/trikes motors for non-GHG
>fuels, e.g., hydrogen and fuel cells.    More broadly,  the focus is on
>what is inconsistently termed urban "infrastructure" or
>"technology"--really motor engine fuel shifts.    Brief reference was also
>made to GEF support for fossil fuels, e.g., natural gas, where in the "long
>run" it could be expected to assist evolution to non-fossil fuels (whatever
>that means).
>
>Rationale.    The argument went somewhat as follows.   Going in, it was
>assumed that GEF should focus on urban transport and on paying the
>"increment" needed to reduce technological cost to achieve GHG benefit.
>Next step was to eliminate GEF-ineligible projects.  Ineligible are: Urban
>mass transit (too expensive for GEF);  promoting electric and hybrid cars
>(would help first world countries more than developing countries); road
>efficiency improvements (would only serve to lock in country commitment to
>an unsustainable transportation paradigm, i.e.,internal combustion
>engines).   Third step: GEF eligibility criteria should include:  benefit
>to "multiple" technical chains (one technology with several applications,
>e.g., fuel cells); "conducive" local policies that would help to lock in
>the change; multiple local benefits (to make the change sustainable
>locally--although such multiple local benefits would given GEF
>predilections would  not counted in calculating net incremental cost),
>local constituency support.    A corollary is that  cities already locked
> [...]

	The Institute for Transportation and Development Policy (ITDP)
	115 West 30th Street,  Suite 1205
	New York, NY 10001
	Tel 212-629 8001, Fax 212-629 8033
	mobility at igc.apc.org