[sustran] Litman comments on Eastern Europe Transport

Paul Barter tkpb at barter.pc.my
Wed Nov 5 19:59:09 JST 1997

I am reposting this item by Todd Litman from the alt-transp list.  I hope
these comments will interest sustran-discuss participants as they seem very
relevant to the situation in many parts of Asia where cities that have
developed with few cars are suddenly seeing a rapid influx of them.  Of
course there are also interesting differences. The E. European cities
apparently had extensive tram and rail systems before the car flood. By
contrast most low-income or middle-income Asian cities had bus-dominated
public transport systems (with little or no bus priority) before the
current car and motorcycle ownership surges.
Paul.