[sustran] Busways - Curatiba style

Ramon Fernan III cycad at epic.net
Sat May 31 20:24:42 JST 1997

I decided to lay low and wait for the car-related thread to run its course
before jumping in again. Now I'm hoping there'd be more sharing of
"hands-on" experiences.

We just learned (in a meeting to discuss sustainable transport) that the
proponent of a Curitiba-style bus service here in Metro Manila has been told
by the Dept. of Transportation to put plans on hold. The bureaucrats had
certain questions that they wanted answered. We weren't told what those
questions were but apparently one was ROW for the proposed exclusive bus
lane particularly at intersections. Could anyone enlighten us on this? Is
there a website or other electronic source of information where we can
obtain info on these kinds of schemes, how they work, what concrete benefits
they offer (hard data if possible), etc.? Snail mail here is pretty awful
(probably because its the same people who oversee the transport sector).

At that same meeting, gov't officials expressed grave doubts about bicycling
in Metro Manila -- they've judged it to be unfeasible before EVEN TRYING IT!
DUH!

(I hope this list doesn't prove how boring academic types can be.)

Ramon Fernan III
CYCLING ADVOCATES (CYCAD)
1563 Pasaje Rosario
Paco 1007 Manila