[sustran] poverty alleviation and basic mobility

Brian.Williams at unchs.org Brian.Williams at unchs.org
Mon May 19 21:28:14 JST 1997

Greetings from Nairobi,

     By way of introduction, my name is Brian Williams and I
am the focal point in transport here at the United Nations
Centre for Human Settlements (Habitat).  As one of the
founding members of SUSTRAN in my previous NGO life, I am
pleased to see the email discussion group under way and have
enjoyed following it.

     I am writing today with respect to the issue of poverty
alleviation in transport and to call your attention to a
meeting on this very subject being held in Florence
(sponsored by UNCHS) from Sept. 14-19.  While this meeting
was mentioned in a previous communication from Paul Barter, I
wanted to take this opportunity to forward to you all the
concept paper and tentative agenda of the meeting which I am
including (not attaching) below.

     I would appreciate any and all comments and would
welcome your attendance.  It is seldom to see transport
mentioned in the context of poverty and I believe we will be
breaking some new ground here, not only from a substantive
viewpoint but also in devising an operational strategy to
actually address the problem.

     Please feel free to get back to me, individually if you
like, at the email address below should you require any
further details and/or would like to attend and participate.

Regards,

Brian

Brian Williams, Human Settlements Officer
United Nations Centre for Human Settlements (HABITAT)
Research and Development Division
P.O. Box 30030, Nairobi, Kenya
TEL: (254 2) 623-916
FAX: (254 2) 624-265