[sustran] Africa/pavements for non-motorised transport tracks

Gerry Hawkes ghawkes at sover.net
Thu May 15 20:31:29 JST 1997

We are developing a structural panel made with highly durable recycled plastic for use in constructing bicycle and pedestrian paths.  The surface has drainage and an aggressive but smooth riding traction pattern molded in.  The panels can be secured with tamper resistant fasteners and earth anchors.  They also may be cantilevered of the sides of highway bridges or trestled over difficult terrain.

Presently we are manufacturing this surface in tile form to protect and enhance the surfaces of boardwalks, steps, wheelchair access ramps, docks, gangways, etc.  We have a three year, $375,000 grant from the National Institute on Disability Research and Rehabilitation to demonstrate this surface on wheelchair access ramps around the country.  Our primary objective remains the introduction of high quality, economical, easy to install, surfaces which will enhance the infrastructure for non-motorized transportation.

-  Gerry Hawkes
    Bike Track, Inc.
    R.F.D. #1, Box 247
    Woodstock, VT 05091