[sustran] Big issues to talk about

A. Karp machia at u.washington.edu
Wed May 14 16:01:31 JST 1997

Regarding Dharm's comments on Asian city gridlock as a function of road
development (10% v. New York's 25%):

	I must disagree with the argument that expanding arterials is a
must in order to avoid total havoc.  The 25% figure New York boasts is no
accolade.  To understand the extent to which New York has been ruined by
such overdevelopment, see JOSEPH CARO, THE POWER BROKER: ROBERT MOSES AND
THE FALL OF NEW YORK (1975), a biography of the now-infamous Robert Moses.
Besides being a real moshe kapoyr, Moses single-handedly displaced tens of
thousands of people and laid down tons of community-severing asphalt to
bring about his vision of car dominance.  While sprawling ten-lane
thoroughfares will keep people from parking on the sidewalk, they will
probably cause far more heartache, and heartburn, for those who must live
around them.  It's hard to fault a man who thought himself messianic,
since at the time few had the analytical tools necessary to prove him
wrong.  To endorse such a Moses-like approach for Asia today would be yet
another policy of appeasement vis-a-vis the Car Folk.

Adam

|*--------------------------------------*|
|   Machiavellian Polyglot Cyclommuter   |
| 	        ADAM KARP                |
| University of Washington School of Law |
|        *machia at u.washington.edu*       |
|	 	  Read                   |
|	         DOCKET                  |
| "All the Evidence That's Fit to Admit" |
|    (www2.law.washington.edu/Docket)    |
|  	      (206) 729.9579             |