Car co-ops: was Re: [sustran] intro

Maya Tatineni maya at argos.utc.uic.edu
Wed May 14 05:58:47 JST 1997

Hello,
	I have been following this discussion with some interest
and thought I would put in my two cents worth..
Personally I don't like driving and would be happy to use alternative
modes of transportation..but it seems to me that often one has no
other option. I live in a suburb of Chicago and to think of living
without a car is quite impossible. I need a car to access the train
that will take me downtown.
Of course there has been talk by planners in this city (like elsewhere!)
about policies to curtail car trips..but it seems to me that most
policies which talk of reducing VMT are actually aimed at reducing
MOBILITY by reducing parking options, increasing the cost of driving etc
without providing for any alternative options.
Surely there is a better answer?
I would like to walk to the grocery store..but the closest grocery store
is 4 miles away. The train station is 10 miles away..
It seems to me that the focus should be on sustainable development and
alternative means of transportation. While it may take some doing to wean
people away from their cars...to be really successful we also need some
realistic alternatives. What is the point in curtailing auto trips if the
only alternative is reduced mobility?
						Maya
----
Maya Tatineni