[sustran] poverty alleviation and basic mobility

JOHN WHITELEGG j.whitelegg at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed May 14 05:10:48 JST 1997

Dear Adam Karp (and everyone else),

there are life cycle analyses on electric vehicles and they don't come
out looking very good.  Try "Cars and Climate Change", OECD, 1993 page
93-98.  Don't forget in this great debate thatdesigning a system based
on one tonne lumps of metal at speeds well over the levels that kill
children is a little bit on the malevolent, over-designed, greedy and
inefficienty side.  Ecah car in Germany has about 240 sq metres of space
which is well above what an average household has for all living/
gardening purposes.  When we get a zero-space, zero speed, zero material
vehicle we will be getting somewhere.  Until that time let's contain our
excitement about electric vehicles.

Incidentally if anyone wants to pursue this theme (all points of view)
in a bit more detail I will run a special issue of World Transport
Policy and Practice.  let me have your articles of about 2000 words each
and I'll organise refereeing.

very best wishes

John Whitelegg