[sustran] Big issues to talk about

Paul Barter tkpb at barter.pc.my
Sun May 11 15:04:51 JST 1997

Dear sustran-discuss participants

As far as I can tell, everything seems to be working OK with the list for
the moment. I am making small adjustments as I notice any problems.

I am keen to hear everyone's views on what are the really big issues in
transport in this diverse region and what you want to talk about?  To get
the ball rolling, here are some possibilities. But don't let this restrict
you however.

*        Air pollution and its health impacts (which pollutants are the
priority in different countries or cities?).

*        Safety (especially for vulnerable road users).

*        City-friendly and city-unfriendly transport (cities and towns face
severe impacts from transport. Why do Asian cities seem to have such big
problems with cars and motorcycles, even though car ownership is much lower
than in the west?)

*        Access problems of disadvantaged people (Rural poor people; Urban
poor people; Women; Frail aged people and disabled people; Children and
youth). What transport policies are best for equity in general?

*        Global impacts of transport such as climate change (Should we just
concentrate on getting rich countries to reduce their emissions or should
we ALSO be searching for ways for lower income countries to avoid a
high-emissions future? )

*       What urban and national transport strategies are most economically
efficient? Which are best for national security (eg. against oil shocks,
foreign exchange shortage, electricity shortage, war, economic depression,
etc)?  Does a successful modern economy mean there has to be a big national
motor vehicle industry and a high level of private vehicle ownership?

*        How can communities, community-based organisations and
non-government organistions become more actively involved in the transport
policies and issues which concern them?

*        News on relevant research, publications, policies, events, etc. on
any of the issues above.

A. Rahman Paul Barter
Sustainable Transport Action Network for Asia & the Pacific (SUSTRAN)
c/- AP2000,  PO Box 12544,  50782 Kuala Lumpur,  Malaysia.
Fax: +60 3 253 2361,  E-mail: tkpb at barter.pc.my