[sustran-discuss] Adam Karp: Introductions!

A. Karp machia at u.washington.edu
Sat May 10 16:33:56 JST 1997

Hello all,

	My name is Adam Karp.  Many of you have probably heard me knocking
at your electronic doorstep once or twice in the past few months.  More
than likely, I was contacting you about my now completed Comment on
China's changing attitude toward mass motorization, which also happens to
be a good place to start.  My Comment, entitled "China Must Not 'Wait
Until the Evening': Resisting Mass Motorization's Assault on Bicycles and
Mass Transit" will be published in 6:3 of the Pacific Rim Law and Policy
Journal ("PRJ").  The PRJ originates from the University of Washington
School of Law in Seattle, WA, USA.  I mention this fine journal not just
because I'm in it, but because it started me on the path to sustainable
tranpsortation as a career.  By studying a critical problem in a foreign
region, I managed to learn what to do with my life domestically.
	While working on the paper I applied for a joint degree in Urban
Planning and Design.  To make a long story short, I withdrew my
application from urban planning and submitted it to Transportation
Planning and Engineering in the University of Washington's School of Civil
Engineering.  As of two months ago, I have been accepted into the program
for the degree of M.S. (with an option to get an M.S.E.), to be embarked
upon after receiving my law degree in 1998.
	I currently serve as the Graduate and Professional Student Senate
Representative for the UW's Bicycle Advisory Group, am a member of the
Cascade Bike Club (the largest in the USA) and attend the Government
Action Committee meetings, am a un-numbed-and-loving-it recumbent rider,
and plan on working with the Chair of the City of Seattle's Transportation
Committee on general transportation strategy and the NEW Regional Transit
Authority ("RTA").  The RTA is a big deal for this region since it will
raise over $3.5 billion to finance electric light rail, commuter rail,
high-occupancy vehicle lanes, and expanded bus service.  My biggest
challenge will be to get the RTA to accommodate bicycles (trail
development, bike-and-ride facilities, and a few radical ideas like two
one-way 20-mile-long enclosed bicycle freeways with a fan-generated 30-mph
tailwind) and favor bus-dedicated roadways where more efficient than light
rail).  I am also interested in the revival of the railroads versus
intercity trucking with regard to freight.

	MY BIG QUESTION FOR YOU, though:

	Can you point me in the direction of a job, an environmental
organization, a group of lawyers who happen to be transportation
practitioners, or a role model who paved the way on her own such that I
could integrate both my LEGAL and ENGINEERING AND PLANNING talents?

	WHAT I CAN OFFER:

	Research-sharing, gut reactions, a sense of humor, an ally.

Bravo to Paul Barter for starting this list!

Adam

--------------------------------------
  Machiavellian Polyglot Cyclommuter
	      ADAM KARP