[sustran-discuss] Let's begin

Paul Barter tkpb at barter.pc.my
Sat May 10 11:32:58 JST 1997

Dear Friends

With the very kind help of Yukihiro YASUDA of Japan Computer Access (JCA)
and Obet Verzola of SURIAN in the Philippines, we have finally managed to
get the sustran-discuss list started.  Please bear with us if there are any
further teething problems.  Apologies if anyone was irritated by the
earlier test message.

I am aware that many of you have never participated in e-mail discussion
lists before. Therefore the introductory message has been made as complete
as possible. Please read it carefully.  For your information, at the moment
there are 142 people subscribed to this list. That is, when you send a
message to <sustran-discuss at jca.ax.apc.org> it will automatically go to 141
other people with an interest in this issue.

A small request:
When you each make your first post to the list could you please introduce
yourself briefly and give a short comment on why you have subscribed.

So I should follow my own request:
I am coordinator of the Sustainable Transport Action Network for Asia and
the Pacific (SUSTRAN) which was started in late 1995. I am also busy trying
to complete a thesis on urban transport in Asian cities. I hope that the
list can become a valuable resource and forum for those who are interested
in promoting transport which is better, cleaner, more equitable, more
friendly to cities and towns, accessible to all, etc.  Some of you have
already been receiving material from SUSTRAN over the last year or so.
This list will allow you the chance to interact directly with each other
rather than just being recipients of information from the "centre".  I look
forward to some interesting discussion, information, and exchange of views.

A. Rahman Paul Barter
Sustainable Transport Action Network for Asia & the Pacific (SUSTRAN)
c/- AP2000,  PO Box 12544,  50782 Kuala Lumpur,  Malaysia.
Fax: +60 3 253 2361,  E-mail: tkpb at barter.pc.my