[sustran] Climate protection examples wanted

wwf wwf3 at post4.tele.dk
Wed Jun 18 12:23:37 JST 1997

Copenhagen 13 June 97.

Wanted: Examples of innovative and successful climate protection projects
in developing countries.

WWF Denmark is looking for 5 examples of innovative and successful climate
protection projects in developing countries. We are also looking for
experts in the project countries, which we could hire to make a short
description of the projects before the end of August. Please tell Lise
Backer, WWF DK, about one or two of the best projects and experts you know
at the latest by the end of June, Fax: +4531392062 or email:
wwf3 at post4.tele.dk

Case studies of the 5 selected projects will be used in in-service courses
in the Danish Development Assistance. WWF DK has been asked to produce the
written material for these courses. They want to educate their staff in
order for them to follow up on the Climate Convention (FCCC) and initiate
more and better climate protection projects in developing countries. Since
Denmark is a major donor, this project could - if it turns out right - have
an effect on other donors.

In particular, we are looking for projects in the areas of:
-       renewable energy, (in particular solar cells and biomass)
-       energy savings and energy efficiency, (e.g. Demand-side management etc)
-       public transport (e.g. trains and trams)

The projects should reduce poverty (the main priority for Danish aid) and
be already or almost implemented. They do not need to be Danish Development
Assistance-projects.

On a more detailed level we are looking for projects, which can be
replicated and:

a)      which involve local people, and/or
b)      which are capacity-building projects, and/or
c)      which are supported by policies implemented in the recipient country,
and/or
d)      where the environmental cost & benefits have been evaluated at an
early stage,
and/or
e)      which are located in off-grid rural areas, and/or
f)      which protect the climate and at the same time have a positive impact on
other environmental problems such as biodiversity, desertification and
deforestation,
and/or
g)      which protect the climate and at the same time develop the agriculture,
forestry, education, or water and sanitation sector.

Point a) - g) reflect important issues for improved quality in Danish aid
projects. If you know about a project, which does not live up to these
criteria, but is anyhow an interesting project we are of course interested
to know about it. The most important thing is to get case studies, which
can encourage the staff in the Danish Development Assistance to initiate
the best possible climate projects in developing countries.

Yours sincerely, Lise Backer, WWF-DK.
I (name, organisation, fax,
phone)......................................................................
...................suggest the following project(s):

1)      Project title:
        Recipient country:
        Donor(s)/Implementing agency:
        Status of implementation:

Name, organisation, fax and phone on a expert from NGOs or universities,
preferably in the recipient country, who could be hired by WWF DK to make a
short description of the project:

Does the project concern: Renewable energy, energy savings and energy
efficiency or public transport?

Please make a short description of the innovative and successful elements
in the project taking into account the items listed on the first page
(point a - g ).