[sustran] GEF Transport Paper: Update

Dr. V. S. Pendakur pendakur at unixg.ubc.ca
Wed Dec 10 11:45:11 JST 1997

Am just back this morning from all my travels.

Please dont circulate this to all sustrans people.  You may rephrase or use
whatever you think makes sense.

Glad to note that you are making progress on this.

If you wish to make serious progress on this within the WB, you have to get
some people with power as well as people with real NMT and Env operational
skills to operationally follow up afterwards.  You also have to keep the
vertical power structure in the information loop as they have to know that
they are being watched by constructively diligent people.

For example, I think Mike Walton , Director of the poverty alleviation
group, Ismail Seregeldin, VP for Env Sust Devt ( for info), Chris Hoban for
Rural Roads, Jean Louis Sarbib ( VP for Africa) and others I can name.

The contacts you mention within the USA are very relevant and we could meet
informally ( during lunch, may be ) between ourselves to establish a
direction.  Then meet with the WB people.  Then we should make our
contribution formal, at some point or date.

Do you wish me to follow up with some more names?

Cheers, Setty.
Dr. V. Setty Pendakur
School of Community and Regional Planning
University of British Columbia
Vancouver, BC, Canada  V6T 1Z2
1-604-822-3394-office, 1-604-263-3576-home
1-604-822-3787-fax
Email : pendakur at unixg.ubc.ca

----------
<mobility at igc.apc.org>
james.barnes at wanadoo.fr; tande at knooppunt.be; Herman.Chris at epamail.epa.gov
> Subject: [sustran] GEF Transport Paper: Update
> Date: Tuesday, December 02, 1997 2:17 PM
>
> An update on the GEF Transport paper "Draft Operational Program No. 11:
> Promoting Sustainable Transport Infrastructure."
>
> I have spoken to Mr. Ken King, of the GEF Secretariat, who is one of the
> senior people responsible for the redrafting of this document, which is
> outline what the GEF will fund in the transport sector.
>
> He explained that the Draft Operational Program was pulled together by
Mr.
> Ahuja, and it was discussed informally at a luncheon in D.C. and was
> circulated among some technical people, but that it has not even gone to
the
> GEF Council and it is not yet, despite proclamations to the contrary, on
the
> World Wide Web.
>
> He expects that the process of developing the final recommentations will
> take eleven months, (until next November), but rapid progress will be
made
> in January - March of next year, so there is still plenty of time for us
> make some input, and to establish a formal review procedure.   His view
was
> that the document was still too preliminary for highly detailed comments
on
> the draft to be of much use.  He also stressed that in terms of what the
GEF
> ultimately does, it will have to fit closely within the confines of
overall
> GEF objectives and criteria, and that these criteria have something to do
> with the currently limited nature of the draft's recommendations.  We
need
> to familiarize ourselves as much as possible with the current criteria.
(we
> have old documents on this which we will reference, but if anyone has new
> info, please pass it on)
>
> Proposed Follow Up:
>
> Brian Williams will be in New York next week and is in possession of the
> draft document.  I suggest I draft a letter under Brian's unofficial
> supervision  responding to their draft in the constructive manner
outlined
> above, circulate it for further comment among those interested, put
specific
> response time-limits for comment, and draft a joint final document with
as
> many signators as possible.  The letter should be constructive and
> non-hostile, as they have been very willing to be cooperative and
> consultative in response to my inquiries, (my frustration on this score
was
> the result of many of them being in Kyoto-fair enough) and should focus
on
> the technical merits of what they are proposing to the greatest extent
> possible.  It should also speak generally and not only about the draft
> letter which is highly provisional at this time, and indicate where we'd
> like to see it go.   Our draft will have long quotes from the original so
> that those of you without the original document (since its not on the
WEB, I
> guess that's everyone except Brian and Tomas of CEEC bankwatch-remarkable
> since U.S. govt cant even get hold of it) will have a good idea as to the
> flavor of the document.
>
> Further, Ken King suggested to me that several of us concerned about the
> redrafting of this document could meet and discuss its broad outlines.  I
> suggested the week of January 12 - January 16th in Washington, as there
will
> be a significant number of us in Washington at that time for the
> Transportation Research Board's annual meeting.  We will then discuss the
> issues raised in the letter at that time, and use the occassion to set up
> some sort of broader consultative process, encouraging them to send their
> drafts to the sustran discuss list, to ceec bankwatch, etc.
>
> I suggest that we try and encourage the following people to attend the
> meeting: Tommy Seamans of the U.S. Department of Treasury (I will call
him:
> he is responsible for GEF and supervises the U.S. govt position regarding
> all GEF matters; his presence or Mark Rentchler will force the Bank to
take
> us seriously and set up a broader consultative process); EDF's Michael
> Replogle or Bruce Rich, IIEC's Chris Zegras or Julia Philpott or whoever
> else is available from there, ITDP (me), perhaps Larry Williams of Sierra
> Club, Dr. Setty Pendakur (ITDP's President), and whoever else is
interested
> that is likely to be in Washington at that time, please let me know. It
> should not be too many people, but should also be sufficient numbers that
we
> are taken seriously.  We will also encourage that John Flora and Paul
> Guitink and a couple others from inside the Bank attend.  The Bank will
> probably send a half dozen people, but we will confirm about who will
attend
> after they tell me (sometime after 12/17 when their staff will have
returned
> from Kyoto).
>
> After that meeting, we will send a summary of the meeting to the lists
and
> discuss where to go from there.
>
> I was also told by Ms. Noreen Beg of the World Bank's GEF staff that the
> World Bank was also drafting its own proposed guidelines as to how the
World

____