[sustran] GEF Transport Paper:

Britton EcoPlan ecoplan_the_commons at compuserve.com
Mon Dec 8 03:15:24 JST 1997

Dear Friends,

May I suggest that Christopher Zegras so-called "very long e-mail comments"
are so thoughtful and to the point  that they could be somehow incorporated
as key background to whatever we all eventually put our names to on  this
subject. I particularly appreciate the way that, instead of slavishly
letting his thoughts be imprisoned and trammeled by the GEF "objectives and
criteria", he just takes off from there and fashions from them  some things
 that we should be able to work with quite handily indeed.

Let me try that again.  To my mind, what CZ is offering us is the GEF as a
framework to stimulate on-the-ground local actions within a framework of
sustainable development -- as opposed to more  argent de poche for the
technological long haul (which anyway is going to get wherever it gets not
much influenced by this particular spree of taxpayers dollars).  I can
appreciate the desire to make such an approach work, but is not our last
couple of decades of experience with public money being used to leverage
technology sufficiently clear that we can now leave that route behind us,
once and for all?

I mean what a splendid opportunity we have here. And I do hope that we are
not going to lose pace on this, because once a bad idea finds its place and
gains momentum, stopping it becomes hard work indeed.

With all good wishes,

EcoPlan International -- Technology, Economics & Social Systems

E-mail:         postmaster at the-commons.org
World Wide Web: http://www.ecoplan.org
Day Phone:      331.4441.6340  (Also ISDN videoconference/groupwork)
Day Fax :       331.4441.6341
ISDN Data:      331.4441.6342
Mobile Phone:   336.0737.7798
Postal:         EcoPlan International